On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:42:49AM +0000, alan c wrote:
> Is there a remedy though?

* Use a newer kernel that supports the chipset on the motherboard. This
can be done by using a newer version of Ubuntu.
* Temporarily install a PCI SATA card until the motherboard is supported

> I have been thinking of buying a non-OS PC, (say from golden
> electronics) and if I did it would come with (my choice) 2 sata HDs.
> It would be sad if I just got left with a large doorstop....

In my experience the vast majority of SATA devices use the same chipset.
Silicon Image SiI 3132 or similar.

If you can contact the vendor of the PC, you could ask them exactly what
make/model of motherboard is going into it, then go to the manufacturers
website and look up the tech specs. They usually detail chipset if you
dig deep enough.

Google may also help once you know the details about the device too.

Cheers,
Al.