> Alan is being modest here.  He has already contributed several "howto"
> screen casts.  Check out
> <http://doc.ubuntu.com/screencasts/>

Yeah, I've seen Alan's screen casts already and they're great. The
problem is I'd consider these to be post-adoption tutorials rather
than something inciting people to try Ubuntu for the first time, or
find out more.

> Well, there is a guy collecting all sorts of videos on Ubuntu, but I
> haven't had time to assess his site:
> http://www.ubuntuvideo.com/
>
> If you want to let me know what you think, I'll be indebted to ya!

Again, interesting for someone on the inside of the open-source
community, thinking about changing to linux or new to Ubuntu, but not
interesting enough to grab someone's attention.

Let me give you an example.

My fiancé thinks computers are boring. I showed her the Mac Vs PC
adverts and she laughed her head off! -

She still thinks computer are boring, but now she now knows that a Mac
is less prone to virus's than a PC. Why? Because the learning was
sneaked in under the radar whilst she was enjoying herself watching a
funny ad. If she had to buy a new computer alone, she (as a
non-techie) now knows something about Macs....

That's what I think all of the videos are lacking. We don't (always)
have to attract the hardcore Ubuntu nerds who know everything about
the OS, we need input from creative media types too.

Joe Bloggs is bored at work, he's surfing for youtube for comedy and
he's exposed to an amusing Ubuntu advert (where we slide in the facts
that its free, secure and easy to use).

He goes home and lo and behold he has an nt bootloader error on his
Win XP machine.

He goes to get the restore disk - and it's not there. So, he's faced
with a choice.

Either buy XP again (no way!) or pirate XP (no, he's a good lad). No -
wait a minute, what about that Ubuntu thing I saw when looking for
comedy? I could always try that I supposed....... ---> Bang... new
user....

Chris