On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 17:18 +0100, Chris Rowson wrote:
> > It's likely that they were approved because Canonical have been quite easy
> > in the past about this. However Matthew's email shows that they are now
> > (rightly, in my opinion) looking to have more consistent logos used.
>
> Ah OK - So Canonical doesn't allow derivative works to be made of
> their logo anymore.  That's a shame really, as I think it helps foster
> links between the community and Canonical.

No, that's totally the wrong end of the stick (did you read the url I
posted?) - any groups are generally perfectly free to use the logo,
subject to permission being obtained as described on the Trademark
webpage. Such permission is generally granted easily.

However, in his email, the webmaster asked (and it's no more than
"asked") to avoid *modifying* the logo. That's very different from
preventing use of the logo.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org