you need a good card, you are lookinig for Beryl
( http://www.beryl-project.org/ ). it's a lot better than the cube, it's
rammed with bits and peices that look fantastic ;)

does have a few issues though - but that's the fun of it - you can get
involved in developing it - like all linux stuff - no matter what level
you are... from the wishlist to giving offerings...

you're the navigator (or at least 'a' navigator(!)

good luck!