Thought I'd better introduce myself.

I'm Mark Harrison:

-          Been using *nix since 1989

-          Been using Linux since about 1994

My background is "big company IT" - before I set up my own company, I was
Head of Systems for Kingfisher, where I was responsible for the websites for
Woolworths, Superdrug, B&Q, Comet and Screwfix :-)

I'm good at architecture (both development-wise and infrastructure-wise),
lousy at detail (so a fairly rubbish coder), and more than a little
experienced at corporate politics (don't run away, consider it the art of
actually getting stuff done, or an optimisation algorithm over some fairly
non-intuitive data-structures as you see fit.)

I've been running an Ubuntu server on my home ADSL for my personal websites
for both business - such as  www.yourpropertyexpert.com
<http://www.yourpropertyexpert.com/>  and hobby - such as www.mog007.com
<http://www.mog007.com/>

I run a couple of Ubuntu servers - the "live one" runs 6.06LTS with MySQL4,
the "development one" runs 6.06LTS with MySQL5 / PHP5, since we need a lot
more in the way of stored procedures going forward.

Currently in the middle of setting up a 6-server load-balanced cluster, all
running 6.06LTS (2 webheads, 2 loadbalancers, 2 database servers), so I may
be asking odd kinds of heart-beat and failover type questions, particularly
since our lead infrastructure guy has just been knocked down with pneumonia
and told by his doctor to stay in bed!

I ran the xap project - cross-platform open standard for home automation,
and ended up releasing a fair bit of software under the GPL (note my
comments earlier about being a good architect and a lousy coder - the apps
now run far better than they did when I'd been the one coding them!)

Oh, and in case the worlds of Linux and Property Investment ever cross, I
_am_ the Mark Harrison from Entrepreneur TV (Sky channel 682).

. and in case the worlds of Linux and Morgan Sports Cars ever cross, I _am_
the Mark Harrison who has been a moderator of eMog for the last 7 years!

And, I need to "come out" now - I do know Nik Butler. I don't agree with
everything he says, and have got into some massive rows with him over the
last few years. we've learnt not to expect perfection of each other, and
show tolerance of our different views :-)

Mark