On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 17:41 +0100, Chris Wright wrote:
> TheVeech wrote:
> > What's the latest in wireless that's available on Ubuntu?  I'm using 'b'
> > & 'g', but what's the state of play with 'n'/'pre-n'?
> >
> > If that's currently a no-go, any tips for extending existing coverage
> > (Netgear wireless router)?
> >

> I had the DG834GT but recently replaced it with the DG834N (after the GT
> went up in smoke).

The GT is the one I had with a new aerial.  At the moment, I'm trying to
extend the cable version.

> I changed the antennae on the GT to an external 'high gain' and that
> helped. The router was in the front room of my house, and the kids PC's
> which were all upstairs would connect no problem.
>
> After the change, I could see my neighbours network.
> I could also get decent connection at the end of my yard (which meant
> working at home on Sunny days lounging in the yard was a lot easier).

I'm just starting to appreciate this.  It's ten times better than being
stuck indoors, plus I won't suffer from geek pastiness for much longer!

> I could do voip and video conf at least 100ft away from the router with
> the new aerial.

I bought one, but I must have just got a dud.

> The new 'N' apart from having the new as yet unreleased standard (or
> non-ratified), also has an internal antennae. (In fact it has 2 or 3
> internal antennas).  With these, I don't use the external (and can't
> because there is no connection).
> Wireless range has improved with the "N" despite the lack of external
> antennae

Is improved range with an 'N' card in your laptop too, or just using
'b'/'g'?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]