On 4/12/07, Eamonn Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 4/12/07, Robin Menneer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a colleague who had help from a friend (more knowledgeable than I
am)
> in loading Ubuntu from the web via apple-mac and a PC
emulation.  Between
> the two of them, they have forgotten the Ubuntu password and don't think
> that either wrote it down.  Is the only solution to load it again, or is
> there a simple (it's got to be thickie-proof) short cut?  If a new load
is
> the only route, presumably,by default, it overwrites the earlier
install?
> Will Ubuntu go easily on or with Tiger/Leopard ?  I would have thought
that
> Ubuntu would co-exist happier with Unix-based Tiger than on a
PC-emulation

I believe (I'm not at Ubuntu right now) that you can choose the
"recovery" option on the bootup screen and then run the following at
the "#" prompt:

passwd username

substituting "username" for the person's account name. That'll let you
create a new password.

That's not too hard, is it?

-Eamonn

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you - i've experimented with my machine and it seemed to work ok - in
fear and trembling in case I did anything wrong - and had to guess to type
exit, Now to talk with my colleague ....
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]