H Ian

On 4/22/07, Ian Pascoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

One of the many topics that have my interest at the moment is that of high
performance computing by using cluster / parallel computing.  Can Ubuntu
support this without a lot of hacking around?

That depends a bit on your software. The most popular free tool in high
performance computing is PVM, which uses an explicite communication model.
If your software supports PVM, it should run on Ubuntu "out of the box".
There are alternative solutions (such as MOSIX), but they do not all provide
the same raw power as PVM.

In a similar vane, can Ubuntu be set up to work in a thin client scenario by
which I mean the computer that the user is booting up takes all it's OS
from
a central server.

There are many different ways to achieve this. My personal favourite is to
use hard disk imaging, which can easily be automated. But you can also use
root on nfs, which is what LTSP does.

Yours,
Thomas