For Picasa, you could download it for Linux from
http://picasa.google.com/linux/download.html - the deb package will
work for Ubuntu, and it's a great way to ensure that you have the
right dependencies (wine version etc.)

Download to your desktop, and then double click to install the deb :-)

<rant>
I agree about Automatix - It's getting more and more redundant as
MOTUs package more applications, and as people (slowly) start writing
their apps for Linux. I personally think that Automatix is a temporary
(broken) solution to a problem that is rapidly getting solved, so it
may not be a great idea to install it.
</rant>

Cheers,
Kris