On 23/04/07, Mark Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [snip]
> 2: "sudo cp -r * ~mark/backup"
>
> - this copies (including subdirectories because of the "-r" option)  all the
> files into the "backup" subdirectory of my home directory "~mark" - you'll
> need to replace mark with your own username
>
> - running it as sudo copies files that only administrator has access to

Just to clarify, Mark means "...copies all files, including those that
only administrator..."

> 3: I then use an ftp client (like Filezilla) to copy the files out of
> /home/mark/backup (which is what ~mark means) onto another box, such as my
> Windows laptop.

Again, to clarify, ~mark means /home/mark, not /home/mark/backup.

> - Filezilla is a nice drag and drop interface, which will allow you to copy
> off entire directory structures.
>
> - In order to get this to work, you may find you need to install an ftp
> server on Ubuntu. The following will work, and also give a good introduction
> to how you install packages from the command line :-) If you have a GUI on
> your Ubuntu box, then you can run Synaptic and let it sort everything out
> for you, but I don't, so I can't :-)
>
> 3i: Enable "extra repositories" by uncommenting various lines in /etc/etc
> (you will need to run "sudo nano /etc/apt" to do this, then remove the #
> symbols from the things that look like URLs - at this point, I tend to put a
> # symbol in in front of the CD, so that I am naturally installing from the
> Internet rather than the CD which is often elsewhere.)

There's a GUI to enable the extra repositories, at System >
Administration > Software Properties (or Software Sources, or
something like that - it should be just above "Synaptic Package
Manager" on the menu). This is easier than editing the file. Also Mark
mistyped the filename - it should be /etc/apt/sources.list.

Just to clarify my syntax above, System > Administration etc. means
"Click the word 'System' near the top of the screen, then click the
'Administration' word on the menu that appears, then...".

> 3ii: Run "sudo aptitude update" which will update the package manager with
> the appropriate information about where to get the new server files from.
>
> 3iii: I tend to run the ftp server from the so-called "INETD" superserver,
> so I need to install that first with "sudo aptitude install netkit-inetd"
>
> 3iv: Then I can run "sudo aptitude install proftpd" and install the FTP
> server.

HTH

Hwyl,
Neil.