Could you install an equivilant of a Live CD onto a USB device?  Although I
appreciate that this doesn't answer the original question, I'd guess it would
speed up the experience of using a CD?
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Johnathon Tinsley
  Sent: 30 April 2007 08:57
  To: ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com
  Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Linux on a USB pendrive

    On 28/04/07, TheVeech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    > Just got myself a 160gb WD Passport USB HDD for my laptop, so I've freed
    > up my 2gb pendrive and I'm looking around for what to do to run a fully
    > functioning distro (doesn't have to be Ubuntu) with a home partition on
    > it. Anyone had a go at this?

    Have a go with Damn Small Linux.  It has an option to install to usb.
    Also because it is debian based you should be familiar with how it
    works.

  You might also want to try Flashlinux (flashlinux.org). It's designed not to
kill your usb key with a special filesystem, but its for 256MB keys, and hasn't
been updated in a while. Although, you can get it working on larger keys.