On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 12:41:32PM +0100, TheVeech wrote:
> I've come across this, but didn't think to give any input.  From now,
> count me in.  I hope others will think about it, too, because the
> potential of the work that could be done here's so far untapped, IMHO.

Excellent.

> I did mention looking at the forums to get an idea for what people might
> want to know about and what could be simplified through a screencast.
> It ain't exactly science, but it's one of the best sources we've got as
> far as I can see.

Well. The forums are a great resource of people asking questions. I don't
use forums though, hate them with a passion, don't let that stop you doing
it though ;).

What I do use though is the Answers system on launchpad.
http://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu - where many people as questions. I see
some questions come up regularly, which I would like to address with
screencasts.

If anyone else has a few ideas, please add to the requests page on the wiki
I mentioned.

> > We hang around in #ubuntu-doc (the documentation team channel) and on the
> > ubuntu-doc mailing list. There doesnt seem to be enough traffic to justify
> > whole list to ourselves, although I have seen some very quiet lists :)
>
> I'll have to try to keep persuading you about this, then!

Not really. It wasn't my decision but it seemed like a good idea, so I went
along with it. There always was the plan to get our own list when we had
sufficient mass, and I'd be happy to manage that list.

>  My guess is
> that once we start getting some more projects underway, the traffic for
> a list would gradually take care of itself.  Maybe it's a chicken and
> egg thing?

Possibly, yes. I will have a word with Matt East about it and look again at
getting a list setup.

Cheers,
Al.