I am one of those who has sat on the sidelines and read what many of you
have had to say. I have used Ubuntu for nearly 3 years now and most, if
not all, of the arguments put forward have been well rehearsed since the
first version of Ubuntu became available. There was an attempt to
compare the requirements of desktop users with both windows and Ubuntu
and, if my memory is correct, were the subject of a wiki and should be
in the Ubuntu archives somewhere.

Why did I change from windows? My son, who worked for Canonical at that
time, persuaded me to give Ubuntu a try and, being of an adventurous
nature, I agreed. There were problems and limitations and, without his
help, I would probably have reverted to windows. Now, I think I can do
all I want to do on a day to day basis but, occasionally, I have a
problem like now. I want to buy a new laser printer and I cannot just go
out and buy anything I fancy. I have to make sure it will work with
Ubuntu. This would not apply to a windows user. What if I want a new
scanner, the same thing applies. I am sure there must be other examples.

That will do for now except to say have a look at the archives you may
not have to re-invent the wheel.

Norman