On 04/05/07, Dominic Forrest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The ntl service provided by the Set Top Box (i.e. using the Ethernet
port in the STB) required that MAC addresses be registered.  The ntl
service provided using a separate, external cable modem did not.

Dom

Michael Erskine wrote:
> On Friday 04 May 2007 13:17:21 James Tait wrote:
>
>> I've documented the required process for both on LiveJournal (I can
find
>> links if anyone's interested), but it boils down to this: when you
first
>> connect your computer to the cable modem, you should get a private IP
>> address via DHCP.  You need to register your MAC address (along with
>> your account number and PIN I think), which is done via a web
interface.
>>  Then you'll be told to reboot your computer, after which you get a
>> public IP address via DHCP.
>>

> One thing to note here, and I only mention it because your post has
reminded
> me, MAC address changes don't seem to matter: I have quite happily
changed
> routers connected to my cable modem without any need to contact NTL.
>
> Regards,
> Michael Erskine.

No STB or external connection for NTL, Telewest or other has required an MAC
registration
now for over two years. If any person asks for this on a service call,
please just remind them
that this has not been required for a long time and if they need
clarification to call QA for the
company who will give them what they need to know.

If anyone has any further issues, please email me and I will help resolve
the issue directly.

Regards

Phil