On 5/5/07, Jonathan Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Great idea and kudos to you for getting it all done! Have you thought about
> > campaigning to get your union/university moving towards completely
> > open-source software? I know my uni computers all have openoffice and
> > firefox installed, but numerous warnings appear about the software being
> > unsupported!
> >
> > Josh
> >
> Trust me, when I stop slacking off during my gap-year I will be doing
> exactly that! Great to hear about your uni though, where abouts is
> that!? Would be good to keep in mind when it comes to pleading the
> case myself next year!

UCL - As I've previously mentioned in another discussion on this list,
next (academic) year I'm going to put a double-page feature on Ubuntu
in the student newspaper. Not sure exactly when it will be, probably a
slow news day when I have to fill up space, but when it gets written
I'll be sure to post a link to the website so everyone can have a
look.

> They should replace those messages about not being supported with ones
> saying "The university doesn't support this software but there's a
> great community that will support you: <links here>" or words to that
> effect. Might get more people involved and also let them use the
> software at its best :D

I;m not sure if they've updated firefox on the network yet, it's
disgraceful. I think very few people know it's on there, they just
assume there's no choice and stick to the MS products. When we're
asked for essays it's in 'formats compatible with the College computer
network, such as MS Word documents' (paraphrase), rather than
suggesting .odt and so on. Grr.

Ah well. Keep me/us updated with the DVD campaign!
Josh