Chris Rowson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone know much about the remote desktop stuff in Ubuntu? system
>> preferences > remote desktop
>
> It's basically a app to control VNC isn't it?
>
> I wanted to be able to offer remote support to a friend across the
> internet, but don't want to compromise the security of his computer
> adversely. Hence I didn't want it to run on a default port etc...
>
> Does anyone know how to shore this up a little?

Hello, Chris.

You should 'tunnel' VNC through SSH - I posted a message about SSHVnc
here recently, which is a Java applet to do the job of opening the
tunnels automatically, and then invoking the Tight VNC Java viewer.

        Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt