On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 14:34 +0100, Douglas Campbell wrote:
> Dear all Ubuntu users
>
> I am an otherwise happy user working on my PhD.  I am trying to download
> some packages for the R statistics program but come up with the
> following messages:
>
> trying URL
> 'http://www.sourcekeg.co.uk/cran/src/contrib/QCAGUI_1.2-7.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-tar' length 1017887 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 994Kb
>
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/00LOCK':
> Permission denied

You need to install with root access as a normal user doesn't have write
access to /usr/* .  The easiest way to do this is probably from the
console.  'sudo' (superuser do) will give the application root access.

$ sudo tar xvzf QCAGUI_1.2-7.tar.gz
PASSWORD: <- Your current user password.

Or if this is part of an installation script:
$ sudo ./installme.sh

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker