From: Matthew Macdonald-Wallace [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 23 May 2007 14:31
To: Peter Scargill
Subject: RE: Linux - v - Windows

Dear Mr Scargill,

Thank you for your reply.  I have to say that I respect and understand
your point of view although I may not necessarily agree with it!

You article has inspired a heated debate about the use of Linux and
Open Source applications on the desktop on the Ubuntu-UK mailing list
and I was wondering if you would object to me posting your reply to my
email onto that list to put forward your views?

Kind regards,

Matt

Quoting Peter Scargill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Good afternoon
>
> Some comments - slightly buried - as you've sent this email in plain
>  text and I assume you prefer this...
>
>> Dear Mr Scargill,
>>
>> I read your article on "Linux - v - Windows" with great interest.
>>
>> I have been using Linux on my home desktop for the last seven
>> years.  Before that, I used Dos, Windows (all versions up to XP)
>> and I also  dabbled with Mac OS pre OSX.
>
>> I am in a fairly unusual position with regard to choice of
>> operating  system as I run my own servers at home, however I work
>> on a daily   basis supporting Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft
>> Office along   side many other applications.
>
> As do I...
>
>> The main point in your article that really challenged me was your
>> comment that "you simply cannot even BEGIN to compare the
>> functionality of Open Office with Office 2007".  I believe that
>> this  is not the case, the change in interface in Office 2007 is
>> enough,   in my considered and experienced opinion, to put most
>> people off using
>> it.
>
> My considered and experienced position suggests that this is utterly
>  and completely incorrect. Everyone who I know who has moved to
> Office 2007, after spending a few minutes getting over the change of
>  look and feel - thinks it is wonderful - indeed, so much so that
> internally within the organisation we're fitting all new machines
> with Office 2007.  I've used every version of office and Open Office
>  and so I'm speaking from experience. I used Office 2007 every
> single  day and have done since the final beta. I go all the way
> back to the  first version of office, WordPerfect 7 before it and
> various really  chronic editors before that. I also use EDIT and JOE
> to program up  my Tivo in Linux.
>
>>  People have used Office in its various incarnations for several
>> years now, Open Office has a similar interface to Office 2003 and
>> all previous versions and is therefore more "user friendly" as it
>> does not require a shift in work-flow practices or knowledge within
>>   the workplace.
>
> The changed in Office 2007 are trivial to master and everyone seems
>  to find it fun. Open Office may bear some superficial similarities
>  of Office 2003 (ie the menus) but there is more to consider than
> the  interface. The assumption that Microsoft would spend millions
> on one  of their core products to make it LESS user-friendly beggars
> belief.  They have beta-tested this on countless members of the
> public and I  think it would be logical to assume that if the new
> look and feel  was not popular they would have binned it. Personally
> I think it's  the best thing they've done to Office - opening up
> features that  have for the longest time been buried in complexity.
>
>> I am also interested to know which functionality Open Office is
>> missing.  I have recently suggested to a number of charity
> [...]

Interesting thoughts, I don't agree, but then again, I think that he
may be a fan of MS to the point where he will not change.  It is my
belief that people who hold the same beliefs as Peter are not the
people we should be targeting and trying to convert, it's the ones who
have doubts about MS and it's functionality.

Go for the easy win and quietly build up the client base, then attack
with the statistics that x number of users are more at home and more
productive with Ubuntu that Vista...

Cheers,

M.
--