On 31/05/07, Eamonn Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/30/07, Pete Ryland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > contains a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual card which is not 100% working in
> > Linux yet.
>
> Interesting point. I was looking carefully at their dual-tuner
> offering, since they're selling it for probably less than it would
> cost me to build one. But I don't want to buy something that doesn't
> work. Can you be more specific about what's not working right now with
> those tuner cards?

It's implemented in hardware as a pci device containing a usb hub with
two tuners.  There's a bug in the kernel usb-core code which causes
kernel oopsen under certain conditions!  While the oops was fixed (in
the latest v4l-dvb, which you'll have to compile yourself from
Mercurial), it can still get the usb disconnect event randomly or just
fail to read from or write to the device.  Turning off EIT (which
contains program information encoded in the stream itself) seems to
reduce the frequency of the failures, but it is still remarkably
flakey even then.  Restarting myth-backend (and sometimes reloading
the modules) is necessary to get it working again.  Rather annoying if
you had set it to record stuff while away on holiday or something!

So, basically it works well, but will stop working randomly from time
to time, and can still sometimes cause a kernel oops.

Pete