[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:41:53 +0100, alan c <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Tony Travis wrote:
>> Ubuntu
>> concern

>>> Hello, Norman and Alan.
>>>
>>> Have you ever upgraded Windows?
>>>
>>> Or MacOS?
>>>
>>> Believe me, Debian/Ubuntu is much, much easier to upgrade!
>>>
>>> However, I use 6.06.1 LTS for all the reasons you mention :-)
>>
>> Personally I can handle it, and I agree absolutely about windows (not
>> used Mac)  - for me windows was something I could never trust and
>> caused a lot of worry. That why I use Linux. Linux added 10 years to
>> my life!
>>
>> However my point was that since I am in the voluntary 'business' of
>> active advocacy, I am aware that if novices install (Ubuntu) and then
>> need support, they will not get it yet from a Friend or Family Member
>> (FOFM) as they currently do using windows - except me! and my skill is
>> spread pretty thin.
>>
>> So I can see myself possibly holding back and not encouraging some of
>> my contacts into Ubuntu, because from what I know (about them) they
>> will have no support. (FOFM).
>>
>> My expectation is that this will change with time, soon I hope.
>
> I currently work on a windows-based helpdesk.  I gave a copy of Ubuntu to one
> of our users who is renowned (and happy to admit) that they are not
> technically minded or hugely skilled at using computers - they know enough to
> do their job but that's it.
>
> This user was able to install Ubuntu, configure it correctly to use a USB
> ADSL modem for internet access, configure the mail client and install flash
> etc. following the "instructions" in Firefox.
>
> I'm happy to give Ubuntu to anyone I know - I know that I'm going to have
> less hassles than I get with the windows boxes I've installed!

That is great! Unfortunately most of the non technical people I know
would not even know what USB, or a modem was.

I would also be interested to know more about the adsl usb modem you
mention. My understanding to date is that adsl with USB (rather than
ethernet) is likely to give problems, even with 7.04. To what extent
is this true now?

(Presumably it is a non router - adsl usb modem only?)

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391