This may seem odd, but on the "Feisty Laptop", I have precisely three
applications that I use:

- Firefox
- Thunderbird
- OpenOffice.org

On the server, I have an awful lot more, but these days, it's the
servers that are doing all the "heavy lifting."

Two years ago, we used lots of applications on the desktop.

A year ago, we used a lot of server-side code for tracking our
activities. Anything that requires input from more than one person in
the team lives as an entry in a database/wiki/whatever rather than
client-side apps.

This year, a lot of the "intelligence" of the business is in the form of
mashups - our geographical information about customers, for example is a
mashup of our own code, google maps (for display) and code.google.com
(for mapping UK postcodes to Lat/Long). Goodbye legacy mapping
applications... Ajax has really helped here.

I must confess that I still have a Windows laptop, also running
OpenOffice.org, Firefox, and Thunderbird.

The reason I still have a Windows laptop is that I still have a training
course I run on a vertical application that is only available for
Windows. I left the company last year, but every few months, I go back
for a couple of days to train their trade customers :-) Because I have
the Windows PC, I tend to use that for audio/video editing/CD/DVD
production, and use (relatively old versions of) the Adobe products for
those.

I can't believe that I'll ever buy a Vista PC - Feisty just seems a
superior product now for when I next change machines.

Mark