Timothy Rittman wrote:
> gord wrote:

>> > first step, remove anything automatix has done, it just causes problems,
>> > breaks systems and gives support people a big headache. not supported
>> > and please do not use it  :) .
>> >
>> > Second step, e-mail the bbc to compain about their web service being
>> > bias towards propiatary systems when we have free formats available for
>> > them to use  :)
>> >
>> > typically at the bottom of a video stream it has 'open in a standalone
>> > player' you could try copying that link into a standalone realplayer and
>> > playing from there.
>> >

> Thanks for the reply...I did try without Automatix several
> times...Automatix was a last resort..
> As to the complaint to the bbc I cannot reaally do that as I have no
> problem on my home computer with either mplayer or realplayer..It is
> just on my friends box where I am having problems..
>
> Hi,
>
> I had similar problems with realplayer in firefox running Kubuntu feisty
> which were resolved by installing the media player connectivity add-on to
> firefox. This effectively opens all media links in the programme that it is
> intended for. Eg, from the BBC website if I click on a newsclip it appears
> with an icon. If I click on the icon, it opens realplayer and plays the clip
> in realplayer with no problems. It might be worth a go if nothing else works.
>
> All the best,
>
> Tim
>
> Thanks for the reply.....I got over the problem by installing Mint
Cassandra Linux and everything worked ok..Still cannot understand
why all the other distros failed except Mint and Dreamlinux..I have
spent a couple of days on this and am pleased it is over :-)..Luckily I
am retired so time is not important but think next time someone shows
interest I will show them my system then give them a live cd without
the install offer..
 Regards
      Ted Wager