James Dalley wrote:

>  > Chris Rowson wrote:
>  > > On 13/07/07, Josh Blacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >> You may all be interested in this article:
>  > >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6897050.stm "BBC to hear
>  > >> open source concerns"
>  > >>
>  > >
>  > > Oooh very good - 'tis a pity that someone has to threaten the BBC
>  > > with litigation before they'll listen though!
>  >
>  > Optimism! I hope also that although they will have a meeting that they
>  > will actually 'listen'.
>  > Listening is also fairly low cost. Action requires a little more
>  > commitment
>  >
>  > --
>  > alan cocks
>  > Kubuntu user#10391
>  >

> I got this reply from them, but as you can see it's the usual...
> Probably automated..
>
> Dear Mr Dalley
>
> Thank you for your e-mail.
>
> The BBC has a responsibility to distribute it's content to as many license
> fee payers as possible, but we must seek a cost effective way to do this -
> especially whilst there is no single audio-visual standard. At present the
> cost of providing multiple formats is prohibitively high.
>
> We currently feel Real Player is the most appropriate solution, since it is
> freely available on the internet and can be installed on most operating
> systems. We also have a large archive of real format material and a resilient
> technical infrastructure necessary to support it.
>
> However, the BBC is actively assessing new ways to distribute audio-visual
> material across the internet. We have initiated a number of trials and we are
> planning a new technical infrastructure which in the future will increase
> flexibility of our output. For instance, you can now listen live to all of
> our major national networks in Windows Media Audio format
>
> Thank you once again for contacting us.
>
> Regards

No mention of OGG format then.  It's a shame that the community can't
redistribute the streams in OGG format on behalf of these media
companies.  Doesn't take much to do it, I manage to distribute streaming
internet radio around my network by downloading the stream in mplayer
and piping it to Ices which streams it out in OGG format so I can listen
   on any computer on my network without using double the internet
bandwidth.

Rob