< snip >

> > It's not a case of the DVD not playing its the .vob files produced by
> > ripping not playing.
> >

> If it's a home made DVD (for instance one recorded in a domestic DVD
> Recorder or DVD Video Camera) then you'll probably find that it isn't
> encrypted.  It might be worth trying dragging and dropping the DVD files
> from the disc to your hard drive and see if they then play in something
> like mplayer.

Thanks to all of you for putting up with me but, I think I have solved
the problem. I do not know why it works but it appears to do so. I
decided to mess around with the the various settings in Avidemux
available in the Preferences. Up until now I have always used the
default settings but this time I selected Input -> Use libavcodec MPEG
decoder. The .vob file, which before gave a video of many, almost
horizontal lines, played perfectly.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Norman