** Robert McWilliam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-07-31 13:24]:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:29:11 +0100
> Mac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm glad it's not just me who has difficulty with identifying the
> > chipsets in wireless cards.  I've read every detail in the specs of
> > dozens of PCMCIA cards in online stores, and I don't think I've found
> > a single one that actually tells you what the chipset is.  Can anyone
> > advise how exactly they find out what chipset a card has in it?
>
> When buying online you have a period of time (I can never remember how
> long it is) to return products for any reason. If I can't get good info
> on whether or not hardware will work I tend to go for the approach of
> buying something and if it doesn't work sending it back (putting down
> its lack of compatibility with linux as the reason - if enough people
> do this we might start getting better info).
** end quote [Robert McWilliam]

I've considered this, but being a cautious sort of person generally
check first. The response is always (well, always when I get a response)
that since they don't claim Linux support that isn't a valid reason for
return and only if it is faulty will they take it back. Of course the
legalities may well be different, but I'm having enough hassle with
online purchases at the moment that adding an extra potential
complication isn't somthing I'm willing to do - even if enough returns
may get them to rethink. Most likely this information isn't recorded and
it is just listed for statistics as 'other'! I'll ask and if they can't
confirm Linux support I'll tell them that's the reason for not
purchasing.