On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:08:20 +0100
norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think I can get all the dimensions that are needed but I am not
> exactly sure what to do with them. The insert is a rectangle 273X183
> mm. This is divided into two sections by a narrow rectangle, 14 mm
> wide, the longitudinal dividing line of which coincides with the line
> which divides the insert in half (short side to short side). Does
> that make sense? The  template is all one piece as are the inserts I
> bought from Avery.

To get a template for a single rectangle to cover the entire insert
you'd set up a page with one 'label' 183x273mm with the appropriate x
and y position. I wouldn't recommend this approach as it makes position
things to go on the spine a pain.

A better approach would be to set up a template for the two big areas
(the front and back). This would have a 'label' size of 183x129.5mm
(129.5 = (273-14)/2), with the appropriate horizontal and vertical
offsets for the top left corner and a y pitch of 143.5mm (129.5 + 14).
Then make another template for the spine, with a 'label' size of
183x14mm and position dimensions to line it up with the 14mm
high rectangle. With this approach you would then make 3 label designs,
one for the front using the first template and printing on label 1 of
the template, one for the back printing on label 2 of the first
template and one for the spine using the second template. Each would
have to be printed separately, so making an insert with something on
each face would mean putting the insert through the printer 3 times.

I actually don't think glabels is terribly well suited to this layout,
I'd use oodraw with the margins set for the outline of the whole insert
and a couple of guide lines (click in one of the rulers and drag into
the document, releasing where you want the line - you can fine tune the
position by right clicking the line and selecting 'Edit Snap Line') to
mark the spine.