Josh Blacker wrote:
> There are the two commands 'find' and 'locate' from the command line.
> One is slower because it literally trawls the system to find things,
> and the other works from a database that's updated every so often - so
> it can miss newer files. (I think find is the faster one, but I could
> be wrong) As far as I know, find has many more options than locate (eg
> to search from the parent directory to a specified depth) - I remember
> reading about it somewhere.

find /your/path/to/a/directory -name '*.lck' -print

Find trawls the files system but appears to cache when re-run with a
short (hours) time.  I've ever used locate.  It has a db where it
'locates' files.  BTY, if you are using find on directories that you
don't "own", you may need to sudo find has the errors it produces when
it doesn't have permission to read a directory can overwhelm the actual
output of any search.

> On 8/6/07, norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Although I have used Ubuntu for quite some time I have never been sure
>> how to go about finding named files. I am not a Linux person although, I
>> can use a terminal if needed. For example I needed to find any files
>> with .lck as the extension and remove them otherwise I would be unable
>> to burn DVDs using Mthtv. So, I went to Places -> Search for files,
>> entered *.lck and the report was no files found. Yet there had to be at
>> least one file which was causing me the problem. Eventually, after much
>> research I found two files in a folder on my desktop.
>>
>> Surely, Search for places should have found these or am I not using the
>> utility correctly?
>>
>> Norman
>>

>> --
>> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

Simple effective migration to Open Source based computing

Jim Kissel
Open Source Migrations Limited
w: http://www.osml.eu
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]