On 8/8/07, Pete Stean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ah, the Dell Inspiron 6400 which they are selling retails for £359+
> depending on features such as memory etc.
>
> The irony of course is that this machine is *no cheaper* than the
> Vista-loaded equivalent... why are they not prepared to pass on the licence
> cost saving to the consumer?  And who would buy a Ubuntu machine when they
> can get a Vista machine for the same price (knowing, of course, that a free
> Ubuntu install can be put on the machine with no problems...)?  Way to go,
> Dell UK  :|
>
> Pete

Hi Pete,

Hopefully you'll be pleased to know that you are incorrect :-)

For the same specs notebook (6400 vs 6400n):
With Ubuntu - £329
With Windows Vista - £358.99

Relevant Specs:
N-Series-Intel(r) Celeron(r) M 520 Processor (1.6GHz,533MHz,1MB cache)
15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
512MB 533MHz Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x512]
60GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
N-Series - Intel(r) Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared
graphics memory
8x DVD/24x CDRW
No Floppy Drive
Accessories
Intel(r) Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Celeron Processors)

So if you found the prices to be the same initially, I imagine they
may have just copied and pasted the Windows Vista product offering,
then tweaked it further down the line - including the price.

HTH
Kris