On 8/17/07, Mark Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There is a bit of software whose name I can't remember, hence Google is
> not my friend :-)
>
> You run this software on multiple machines, and stick their monitors
> next to each other across your desktop. One of the machines has a
> keyboard and mouse attached.)
>
> When you run the mouse off the right-hand-side of machine A, it
> effectively transfers a cursor over to a "matching" point on the LEFT of
> machine B, and transfers keyboard control to that machine.
>

> 1: What is this called?
>
> 2: How scalable is it? (To multiple machines, multiple monitors on a
> given machine, Y axis as well as X axis).
>
> 3: Can I, in fact, drag and drop application windows between desktops (x
> would allow me to do this, I'm sure, though I'm not sure about windows
> that overlap multiple x desktops....)
>
> 4: Does it allow Windows machines to become part of the "array" (mea
> culpa, I still need a Windows machine for work.) [1]
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>
> [1]... because I need to test our websites against Windows clients and
> IE bugs, that's why.
>

> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

1) I use x2vnc to do such a thing - it relies on a VNC server on the
other box(es), and so it would work on any machines that run VNC. For
example, at work, I have my Ubuntu box with x2vnc connected to a
separate machine running Windows.

2) x2vnc will work with up to four extra desktops, as you can specify
-north/-south/-east/-west on the command line.

3) x2vnc doesn't allow this. This would be crazycool though! Wonder if
the ones suggested by others does this...

4) Yes.

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/x2vnc.html

It's also in apt/synaptic repositories, so nice 'n' easy to install.

Kris