On 8/30/07, Chris Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> STONE COLD wrote:
> > unfortunately i cant provide the error message as it restarts straight
> away and i cant take a screen dump!
>
> The machine reboots immediately after telling you it can't start X?
>
> The error printed in the blue screen is useless anyway, it's just a
> message telling you that it didn't work. What would be much more useful
> is a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log after X has failed to start. If you
> have a USB stick you should be able to mount it manually and copy the
> log file there.

You could boot into the recovery mode, which doesn't attempt to start X.

I don't think I have ever seen the machine reboot by itself when X fails to
start. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2 if that doesn't work) when the blue screen
is showing, and you should be greeted with a text login prompt.

Matthew.

PS. Someone once told me that you don't get the grub menu if it is not a
dual-boot. How do you get to the recovery mode in this case?