Ian >>> I only have suggestions for some of your issues...

Ian Pascoe wrote:
<snip>
> B.  Cannot seem to get Movie Player to play DVDs, although I can see it in
> the file Explorer
> B1.  Can't play the extra features DVD for any of the Harry Potter's

Commercial DVDs are encrypted/DRM-ed.  You may need the library for
reading them. It's in the medibuntu repository, and is called
libdvdcss2.  I had exactly the same problem with recent shop-bought
DVDs;  installing the lib file solved it...

> C.  The system beep is through the desktop speaker and not the sound card

Open a console and type 'alsamixer'.  Use the left/right arrow keys to
move between the columns;  tap the 'm' key to activate (00) - or mute
(MM), but you don't want them to be muted!! - the selected channel.
Adjust the 'volume' of the selected channel with the up/down arrows.
Press Esc to quit.

HTH.

Mac