When I switched on this morning I encountered a problem which is new to me and
one I have never seen discussed previously.

I use Ubuntu 7.04 on a Linux only machine.  Today it booted normally as far as
the login screen.  I logged in as usual and Ubuntu went through its normal
start up procedure.  The familiar opening tune played but the screen was
completely blank, orangey/brown in colour which is my usual desktop colour.
I manoeuvred the mouse  all about the screen, without effect.  The only keys
which worked were power, sleep and wake up (apart from  Ctrl/Alt/Backspace).

My partner shares this machine with me and I was able to boot into her account
normally.  I tried booting in recovery mode but that gave me a completely new
desktop without any of my own stuff on it.

The only alteration I can recall having made to the machine recently is
editing Grub as my Kubuntu partition (from where I am sending this mail) had
had an update and it pinched the first place in the boot menu.

Can anyone suggest how to rectify my problem?

Cheers,

Keith.

--
Keith Bowerman,
Using Kubuntu 7.04 on a Linux only machine.