Hi,

I'm fairly new to Linux in general, and tried out a few distros -
settling on Ubuntu - which seems to me anyway - the most user friendly
and visually appealing one I have come across thus far. Any ways - I was
using Feisty off and on for a couple of months, and waited with baited
breath for Gutsy to be released. I did a fresh install yesterday and
encountered some problems initially. While copying the installer files
to the PC - the installer froze up at about 82% on the configuring apt
section. Aftr a few attempts (and a reboot of my router) it installed
perfectly ( or so I thought).

Once installed, I proceeded to install the Nvidia driver from the
restricted list, and rebooted - and lo and behold my system came up at
1280x1024 resolution - something Feisty always refused to do for me.
Beginning to get excited - I went ahead and popped into the Add /Remove
applications area to see what googies I could add - but on opening this
aaplication - the system froze completely. After about 15 seconds I
could start to move my mouse again, but nothing else would work. I
rebooted and tried the same thing - and the same thing happened. NExt I
rebooted and tried out the synaptic package manager - which resulted in
the same freezing. Also the new firefox addons manager resulted in the
system freezing and locking up again. Finally (after a few google
searches) I found a list of repositories, and tried via apt-get - whcih
worked.  But as I don't know the names of all packages and dependencies
I want - this aint too good :(

So - has anyone else encountered this - or does it sound like I may have
a hardware fault? It's driving me nuts. I really want to ditch Windows
for good, but only if it's gonna work!

Cheers,

Badger.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000782-3, 19/10/2007
Tested on: 19/10/2007 16:24:51