James Grabham wrote:

>     I'm with them at the moment but am considering a move to TalkTalk,
>     which appears to be outstanding value and available in my area: any
>     horror stories with them?

My brother was completely without phone service (let alone ADSL) for
about a week after moving to them.

The fault ultimately proved to be a local bit of flooding inside his
local telco sub-exchange... however, the fact that TalkTalk had
unbundled his local loop meant that he had no mechanism to get BT out to
test the line (which they needed to do twice before discovering a foot
of water!) because he had no contract with them.

TalkTalk were, apparantly, eventually able to resolve the problem, but
at premium rates all the way (from his mobile, under the circumstances)
trying to explain that yes, he had real problems.

Bottom line - ISPs with crap / expensive support can provide better /
cheaper monthly rates.... PROVIDED everything works.

M.