-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Michael Holloway
Sent: 01 November 2007 15:20
To: British Ubuntu Talk
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Linux mysteriously broke my computer!

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 14:55 +0000, Alec Wright wrote:
> Or so Evesham tech support say...
> Here's what happened:
> Whenever I switched my computer on, it would switch off within five
> seconds or so. If I switch it on again, it will switch off again even
> more quickly. It doesn't even get to detecting disk drives, let alone
> booting an operating system.
> It even does it with all of the disk drives unplugged.
> I phoned Evesham tech support, and they immediately said it was a
> windows driver problem. When I told him it didn't have windows on it,
> but had Linux on it, he put me on hold for a few minutes. When he got
> back, he told me that he couldn't fix the HARDWARE problem because it
> runs Linux. He told me to reinstall windows and phone back... Well
> that's gonna be fun when it cant stay on for more than five seconds...
>
> Just thought you guys might be interested
> --
> Alec Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Check that your CPU fan is spinning, then
try using the CMOS reset jumper, or take the battery out, then
try removing/swapping ram, then
try taking out the video board, then
try phone back and act like you have never heard i of linux, but it
doesn't even get to the "starting windows" screen