Pascal Khoury wrote:
> Hope everyone's well. I am new to the forum. I have installed Ubuntu
> on my Dell Inspiron 6400, and I am trying to configure my screen
> resolution with no success. The resolution is by default 1024x768,
> and this is too small for my screen. I wonder if someone can help.

Pascal >>> I've had problems with Ubuntu not detecting the graphics on
my Dell Inspiron correctly (tho' mine's an old 8200).  In addition to
the various suggestions friends here have already given, I found the
following useful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FixVideoResolutionHowto

I would recommend that you back up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file before
doing any editing suggested in the HowTo.  E.g. in a terminal do

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

Then, if Gnome doesn't restart properly, you can do Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a
terminal screen, reinstate the original xorg.conf file with

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and restart.

(Sorry if this is teaching grandma to suck eggs - it's just that I'm
relatively new to GNU/Linux, and like full details myself!)

HTH

Mac