Hi

I would tend to stick to the Ubuntu laptops with Dell, but in most cases
you are pretty good with any of the brands. I personally use (K)Ubuntu
on a Dell Latitude and a Toshiba (cant remember which one, about 1 year
old). The very first thing you need to look at is the Wireless card -
check that it is compatible... second thing it the graphics card. Nvidia
is well supported, and ATI is supposed to be but i have had problems
with them. Intel is also sometimes dodgy. Other than that you are pretty
much clear to go with anything (in my opinion).

cheers,
Michael