Hi Norman,

As someone who tries to get everyone I help off Windows and onto Ubuntu,
I've had to come up with some unusual solutions. For most needs
excluding 3D graphics I'd recommend installing Windows 2000/XP on a
virtual machine. If you switch off system restore and automatic updates
in Windows it should run nice and fast even with 192 or 256MB of RAM
allocated to it. The nice thing about virtualising it is that you can
just close Windows like an ordinary application and it will be paused in
the state you left it. You can run it in a window or in full screen
mode, it really is almost seamless. Until recently I have been using
VMware but recently I've switched to VirtualBox and I'd strongly
recommend it over the former (although you will need the freeware closed
source edition to get USB device sharing.

I don't recommend Wine for most purposes because despite enormous
efforts it cannot give you a real Windows environment. Using Windows
itself allows you to use nearly any software and it doesn't necessarily
need a monster PC to cope. My laptop is a Pentium 4 1.4GHz with 768MB
RAM and I run Windows XP and Win98 alongside each other under Ubuntu
quite happily.

You can also utilise a virtual machine running in the background (say
with the freeware VMware server) to have Windows applications running
seamingly natively in Ubuntu using terminal services (remote desktop)
and a couple of tricks - more info here:
http://www.venturecake.com/10-minutes-to-run-every-windows-app-seamlessly-on-your-ubuntu-desktop/

. A similar feat is supposedly possible using VirtualBox alone (article
here:
http://www.venturecake.com/virtualbox-15-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/)
but I haven't tried that yet.

With a bit of ingenuity and often some fiddling, you can get even the
worst software to run and usually work better than on Windows alone.

Regards,
Tom