> Well, a combination of both seems to have fixed it.
>
> In summary, I switched the network to manual configuration, meaning that it
> got brought up during boot rather than at the behest of the tray icon once
> I'd logged in.
>
> I was also suffering I think since I was trying to mount three shares at
> once,
> and the server couldn't reply quick enough so that none of the three would
> time out. From what I've read NFS clients time out after a fixed period and
> then attempt to try again. I've increased the timout from 1.4 seconds to 3
> seconds, and it seems to have done the trick. It took the last share a couple
> of minutes to become available, but did so by the time I logged in.
>
> Thanks for the thoughts!
>
> Pete.

I know this is solved but i thought i'd put my input in.

i use SMBFS to mount network shares, but (and this has been happening
since i started with ubuntu, 5.10) sometimes it seems to half mount
them, and the machine runs really slowly and cant connect and becomes
unstable as soon as i try access one. I figured it was because the
network hadn't finished loading (i use a manual config).

My solution is to not use fstab, but rather a
script: /usr/local/sbin/mountall (770)

Then in my /etc/rc.local, it runs the script... works like a charm.