Last week, after trying very hard, I managed to install a working
version of Windows XP and then install a working version of Edubuntu.
Success, I exclaimed and there things stayed over the week end, computer
switched on but not in use, until this morning. In order to check
another problem I needed to switch off and reboot the machine and this
is what happened:-

Selected Shut Down and waited, just before finally shutting down I got a
message telling me that 'video mode not supported', which lasted a
second or so, and then the computer switched off. After waiting about 30
seconds I pressed the start button and, after a short wait with a blank
screen, a menu appeared from which I selected Edubuntu. (Please note,
there was no screen showing mother board details such as Intel.)  I then
got the message saying 'video mode not supported', which lasted for a
second or so and then the screen asking for name appeared. I completed
with name and password and when everything was fully loaded I again shut
down the computer.

As before, following the message 'video mode not supported', the
computer switched off; 30 seconds wait, switch on, menu appeared,
selected Windows XP and, after a short wait with a blank screen the
dreaded blue screen appeared. (Please note, there was no error message
about the video not being supported.)

So, there you have it. I have spent the weekend under the delusion that
I had successfully installed a dual boot system, on one hard drive, of
Edubuntu and Windows XP. This raises the following questions:-

Why no start up screen
Why the video error message
Why the dreaded blue screen
Are these in some way connected

There may be more but I can't think of any at the moment. Friends, I
have very little hair left and, if this goes on much longer, I will be
completely bald, which is not a good thing with the winter upon us.
Please, please help me get things sorted.

Norman