Has she tried opening the streaming URL directly from Mplayer rather than
relying on the browser plug-in?  Sometimes that works... .

Also, this is the full URL on the link button...

javascript:GetSelectedChannel('
http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx','http://www.nasa.gov/ram/35037main_portal.ram','http://www.nasa.gov/qtl/151335main_NASA_TV_QT.qtl'
)

...that implies that there are several streams...

http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx   // windows media?
http://www.nasa.gov/qtl/151335main_NASA_TV_QT.qtl     // quicktime?
http://www.nasa.gov/ram/35037main_portal.ram               // real video?

Sean