Mac wrote:
<snip>
> ...Aptitude seems to keep track of
> dependencies better than synaptic, so you can <sudo aptitude remove
> 'packagename'>, and, better yet, when things get bad <sudo aptitude
> purge 'packagename'>, ...

By 'packagename' I mean, of course, the name that you find listed in,
say, synaptic (e.g. 'realplay' or 'mozilla-thunderbird').  In fact I
tend to search for packages with the synaptic 'Search' feature, and then
install from a terminal with aptitude.

Does anyone use the aptitude GUI?  (Perhaps I should say "GUI", as it's
more a 'sort-of' GUI - the one that starts when you just do 'aptitude'
in a terminal.  Quite powerful, but old-fashioned and clunky.)

Mac