Andrew Jenkins wrote:
> Anyway, I've tried to create the file systems and
> have hit a problem.  Once I've created the first
> partition as FAT 16 and try to 'mkfs' it I get the
> error as follows:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n ubuntu710 /dev/sdc1
>
> mkfs.vfat 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
> WARNING: Not enough clusters for a 16 bit FAT! The filesystem will be
> misinterpreted as having a 12 bit FAT without mount option "fat=16".
> mkfs.vfat: Attempting to create a too large file system
>
> And that's where it all stops.  I can't imagine a FAT12
> will be any good to him as it's going to be connected
> to a Windows machine.  So any ideas anyone?
>
> Andy Jenkins
How big is the drive? FAT16 partitions can only be up to 2GB. FAT32 uses
diskspace more efficiently anyway - a 2GB FAT16 volume will have a
default cluster size of 32KB compared to FAT32's 4KB, meaning that any
files under 32KB in size will take up at least 32KB on disk, even 0 byte
files.

Regards,
Tom