On 11/12/07 18:49:11, Freddie Ruddick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Call me boring and predictable if you will, but most of my computer time
> is spent listening to music in Rhythmbox, and IMing on Pidgin. Thus,
> when I leave my computer, I need to pause the music, set Pidgin to away,
> and then lock my screen.
>
> Is there any way I can combine these 3 actions into a macro or somesuch,
> so that I can whack a keyboard shortcut, or click one launcher to do all
> 3? I'm not immune to a bit of CLI/bash coding if necessary (and I reckon
> it will be...), but I'd rather not have to change the apps I use.

I have a small python script for controlling Rhythmbox using its dbus
interface at http://ormiret.com/?q=node/15 Pidgin also has a dbus interface so
it can be controlled in a similar manner (I've not looked too closely but I
would be very surprised if you can't set away status from the dbus interface).
If you prefer bash to python the dbus-send program can be used.

I use "gnome-screensaver-command -l" bound to a key combo to lock the screen,
that can be added to your script.