alan c wrote:
> <snip
lots
> <snip

Alan
really interesting post!
I'm not Ubuntu savvy enough to helpmuch but I am learning
The 80 year old neighbour of mine that I help uses XP (and would never
switch); he gave me enough of an earful when his Outlook crashed and
Windows told us to re-install Windows -  I said I wouldn't do that just
to fix an Outlook problem and instead would he try Firefox and
Thunderbird. He complained about ''buttons missing' until after he got
used to them now he never mentions it.
another neighbour asked for help using Vista as he was used to Xp but
his new PC came with Vista. I had to decline as I don't know vista.
I have a few family members I help (all Windows) but later, when I know
how to do it, I hope to connect to them over the net and help support
their linux boxes (after first converting them of course :-)
Having had experience of working with charities I know what they can be
like regarding the status quo -   Ialways wonder if they are doing the
right thing regarding their funding by using MS.
I'm not yet retired but think it would be a great thing to do what you
are doing when I do retire.
Maybe the  Government should be subsidising al the oldies who are
changing the software of Britain's retirees!
Eddie