It's been hours now, and I'm totally and utterly stumped.

I've used lsof to check whether or not there are any deleted files
still sitting around taking up space, I've run an fsck, rebooted the
server and deleted some logs, but there is still a very large chunk of
hard disk space missing.

If I've rebooted the server, surely I should have terminated any
processes that had grabbed onto a file keeping it open, and surely
lsof would have seen any deleted ones hanging about wouldn't it? (I
grepped for DEL and deleted).

The server is a LAMP server running the Gallery2 software and it's
been up for months. I've Googled the answer to this until my eyes are
raw.

Things shouldn't be this difficult.

Chris