Mark Allison wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have 6 PCs at home, and have them all connected to a Netgear DG834G
> wireless ADSL modem. Some PCs are connected directly, others via
> wireless. The current topology is:
>
> ADSL Router-->Home LAN
>
> One of my PCs is an Ubuntu server running squid and dansguardian and
> I'd like to configure the network as follows:
>
> ADSL Router-->ubuntu-server-->Gigabit wireless switch-->Home LAN
>
> The bit that's missing is the gig wireless switch. Do such things
> exist? If not how else can I configure the network? I need it to be
> gigabit because the ubuntu server is running BackupPC and throws
> around a lot of data.
>
> Any insights appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

Hi,

If you don't want or need the Ubuntu server to be the firewall/gateway
between your network and the Internet, the simplest solution would be to
leave your wireless modem router running as it is and just buy a Gigabit
switch, then plug your DG834G box and your server (plus any other wired
machines) into the new switch. The existing wireless part of your
network will be kept as it is but you'll have a Gigabit backbone for
your cabled machines. If you want fully functioning local DNS then you
can do as Rob recommends and set up dhcp3-server on your Ubuntu machine
together with bind9 with dynamic updates. You'll then have a network
where all your machines will be identifiable by their hostname by every
other machine regardless of its operating system.

As a side note, it may be worth looking to see if there is any newer
firmware for your DG834G modem/router at
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp. Some DG834* boxes I
have worked with have had performance issues with older firmware so if
you aren't running the latest firmware for your model it is worth
considering updating it.

Regards,
Tom