Adam Bagnall wrote:
> mail-notification supports gmail separately without going through pop3
> or imap. If you want the tarball you can get it from
> http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
>
> sudo apt-get build-dep mail-notification      This will grab most of the
> dependencies
>
> sudo apt-get install libssl-dev      This will grab the necessary files
> to enable ssl support.
>
> then the usual ./configure && make followed by sudo make install
>
> You have to log out and back in again for it to work otherwise you get
> an error message.
>
> Regards,
>     Adam.

Adam >>> Thanks for your advice.  I'm afraid I may not have been very
clear, or may not be understanding what you mean when you say that mail
notification supports gmail separately.  Perhaps I should explain my set up:

I have nine accounts set up in Thunderbird, and only three of them are
gmail.  All nine accounts use pop3 (including the three gmail - I prefer
to fetch them by pop3 rather than using the web site);  and only the
gmail accounts need ssl.

If I follow your instructions above, will this enable mail-notification
for all my accounts;  or will it work with just the gmail ones;  or just
the non-gmail ones?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick about this, but I'd rather get it right
than make a mess that I have to unscramble later!

Thanks for your help

Mac