Hi,

If it is not a power saving problem, it sounds like X (the graphical
display manager) is crashing.

On Feb 16, 2008 11:29 PM, Jai Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I use an Acer TravelMate 4151LMi (Notebook) and I have recently been
> having some issues with Gutsy - namely being automagically logged out
> and presented with the GDM sometimes when the notebook lid is closed.

Do you use desktop effects/compiz, or similar? They are enabled by
default in Gutsy, it could be worth disabling them just to test.
You'll find the options under System->Preferences->Appearance.

> The other is a bizarre black screen state in which the monitor simply
> turns off and won't turn back on again (resulting in a requirement to
> reboot).

Do you have a screensaver enabled? Set it to blank for testing purposes, if so.

When in this state, does Ctrl+Alt+F1 do anything? Ctrl+Alt+F7?
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace?

When rebooting from this state, you may be doing this with a hardware
reset button or similar. See if the laptop responds to the key
sequence in section 4 of this post:
http://matthewstechnologyblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-recover-ubuntulinux-pc.html

Hope this helps, if not fix, then diagnose the problem :)

Matthew.