On 26/02/2008, Tony Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tony Arnold wrote:
> > Kris,
> >
> > Kris Douglas wrote:
> >>[...]
> >> Is this proper Ubuntu-as-in-Linux cola? Or just because of South
> African etc...
> >
> > No, it has nothing to do with Ubuntu Linux. They've just coined the
> > African word.
> >
> >> Furthermore, something we could look at is making OpenCola for our
> >> Ubuntu events :)
> >
> > Hmm, interesting!
>
> Hello, Tony.
>
> I think it's the other way around - Canonical adopted the name Ubuntu to
> describe the philosophy of their project just as the Fair-Trade people
> have adopted the name Ubuntu for their Cola. As I understand it, people
> have 'Ubuntu' if they show humanity to others:
>
>         http://www.ubuntu.upc.edu/
>
> Seems a pretty good model for a Linux distribution to follow too ;-)
>
>         Tony.
> --
> Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
> Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
> Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687
>
> This is from the parish magazine for February (Grassington North Yorks)

There's a special word in the Nguni languages of South Africa: Ubuntu.
Ubuntu doesn't translate into English but its a word that describes the
essence of being human. "I am a person because of you. I am human because I
belong. My life is bound up and tied to together with yours- not just with
my close family and friends but with everyone's. A person with Ubuntu is
welcoming, hospitable, warm and generous and recognises others as persons. A
person has Ubuntu if he or she knows that our lives and the world around us
are delicately knit together and completely interdependent.

Caroline

--

--

---